If you like veggie burgers, love eating healthy or are just in the need for a quick and simple dinner idea but are tired of the old boring stuff… this Lentil Croquettes Recipe is for YOU! :)
These lentil croquettes are essentially like a veggie burger or patties but with a different twist. Croquettes are a small roll of chopped vegetables, meat, or fish, fried in breadcrumbs. I grew up with these usually made with meat and served with red borsch. And I had a huge flashback to these recently and I wanted to make them healthier and bake them, make then gluten-free and veggie based but rich in protein.
Also, these are super easy and quick to make. And once you roll them and pop them in the oven, you can make a salad or another dish. Super simple and delicious AND healthy! Yes, you can have it all with this delicious Lentil Croquettes recipe.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked lentils, rinsed and drained well
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour or other gluten-free flour
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- grape seed oil for cooking
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (not wax paper).
- In a small skillet, sautee the onion until golden for about 3 minutes on low medium heat. As the onion is cooking you can incorporate all the other ingredients. Once cooked, set aside to cool slightly.
- In a food processor, add in lentils, oats, flour, garlic, turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste. Process to combine all the ingredients. Add in the onion near the end to keep some of the texture.
- Turn off the food processor and proceed to make the croquettes by scooping a heaping tablespoon of the mixture into the palms of your hands and making an oval-shaped patty. Continue with all the mixture.
- Place onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes, turning over once half way through.
- Serve with a salad or other sides. These are great buffet finger food.
- Store in a resealable container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Just reheat in the oven for 15 minutes before serving. (Not bad cold ;))
Ella Leché is a cookbook author (‘Cut the Sugar‘), recipe developer, and photographer/stylist behind Pure Ella; where she shares delicious and healthy recipes. Eating PURE is clean ingredients, whole foods, plant-based nourishment and delicious desserts – with quality ingredients and sweeteners so they’re treats with benefits so you won’t have to feel deprived or restricted to eat healthier.
Thank YOU for being here!
Follow on social media for daily health & happiness inspiration:ps. don’t forget to share your Pure Ella (PE) recipe creations by tagging them #pureella and @pure_ella on Instagram – we repost our favourite photos!