Repost >> So on that very special day when, we girls, surprised our mom, we had more than a visit planned. We had a cookout and baking day plan in the works too.
And it was a lovely day with the greatest people and the greatest food and dessert, of course ~ who would not love a Strawberry Shortcake on a sweet sunday afternoon shared with their favourite people?
My younger sister wanted to assist me in baking something yummy for a long time, but we could never squeeze an actual baking time before. We squeeze in coffee dates, photoshoots and of course, shopping days, but not baking, or at least up until now. So, the day was perfect, the setting ~ in our mom’s cottage-style house, was more than perfect.
GLUTEN-FREE & VEGAN
gluten-free and vegan dessert
(dairy-free, egg-free/ vegan, gluten-free/ wheat-free, all natural, refined-sugar free (except for the icing))
Prep time : 15 min Bake time : 15 min Serves 6-8
- 1 cup rice flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill flours)
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup So Delicious® Dairy Free Vanilla Coconut Milk
- 3/4 cups raw cane sugar or powdered stevia
- 1/3 cup coconut oil + extra for greasing
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2-3 cups organic strawberries
- 1-2 tablespoons raw cane sugar or liquid sweetener of choice (optional)
Vegan Icing: (optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons hot water
1. Grease a 6 cake pan with coconut oil and preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Sift together all the flour ingredients: rice, potato starch, arrowroot, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt. Whisk together in a bowl and set aside.
3. In a medium pot, add in milk and coconut oil and allow to warm over low heat until the coconut oil melts (do not allow to boil). Mix gently with a wooden spoon while it’s warming. Once the coconut oil is melted, remove from heat and add in the sugar. Stir together to allow the sugar to dissolve completely. Add in apple sauce and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
4. Pour in the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and mix gently to combine together well. (If clumps still develop, you may use an immersion blender and mix the batter for a few seconds until you see a very smooth consistency in the batter.)
5. Add in coconut flakes and mix with a wooden spoon to combine. Pour into pre-greased shortcake pan, fill about halfway to allow for rising of the batter.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes at 350°F. Remove from the oven and allow to cool 15 to 30 minutes. Gently scrape the sides of each well and flip the pan over to remove. You can use a toothpick to help the cakes lift out of the pan.
To make the strawberry topping:
Remove the stems and wash all the strawberries well. Take 1/2, and slice into a bowl, sprinkle with sugar if more sweetness is desired, and press down with a fork to create a juicy chunky strawberry ‘jam’. Take the other 1/2 of the strawberries and slice into quarters lengthwise.
To make the Frosting:
Make a glaze by adding the powdered sugar into a small bowl and adding in 1 tablespoon at a time of hot water. Mix well to combine.
To assemble the Strawberry Shortcakes:
Scoop the crushed strawberries into the centre of the pastry cups, top with fresh quartered pieces of strawberries and drizzle tops with frosting.
What can I say, it was the perfect dessert to make, and eat with my family. And it was really sweet to bake at my mom’s, my first, but I think it warmed up the place really nicely. I think grabbing ingredients for baking to your mom’s or close somebody is always a good idea. You will love the baking session and enjoy the dessert also. Good for busy moms who want to bring a home baked dessert but don’t have the time for that.
Don’t have a specialty pan, use any baking pan like a cupcake pan and use this batter to make cupcakes or try other shaped cakes like these Mini Cakes.Ella Leché is a cookbook author (‘Cut the Sugar‘), recipe developer, and photographer/stylist behind Pure Ella; where she shares delicious and healthy recipes. Eating PURE is clean ingredients, whole foods, plant-based nourishment and delicious desserts – with quality ingredients and sweeteners so they’re treats with benefits so you won’t have to feel deprived or restricted to eat healthier.
Thank YOU for being here!
Follow on social media for daily health & happiness inspiration:ps. don’t forget to share your Pure Ella recipe creations by tagging them #pureella and @pure_ella on Instagram – we repost our favourite photos!