Don’t you just love biting into something just simply amazing your taste buds go wild? These Black Bean Burgers, my friends, are my favourite healthy burger recipe since ever : it’s basically all I want to eat nowadays! They are great for lunch with a salad or bun or a nice grain-like quinoa or brown rice. These will be a hit once you try them – and will make a nice addition to BBQ! Yesss? :)
If you’re trying to eat less red meat, this is a great recipe to try. Plant based protein is nice and light and budget friendly. What’s great is that these also come together in under 15 minutes! And they are super easy to just throw the ingredients together and mix up, shape into patties, cook, eat. Done! I think I know what my favourite part is – the fact that it takes longer to eat these than to make… seriously! :)
The kitchen is my comfort-zone and I feel the happiest in it making something yummy to feed my cute family.
BTW, I apologize in advance as you keep scrolling down for having to lick the screen. Sorry! I promise the real thing is more delicious than your dusty finger-printy screen :)
Gluten Free Vegan Black Bean Burgers
- 1 14-ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained (or red kidney beans)
- ½ medium white onion, chopped fine (about ½ cup)
- 1-2 small cloves garlic, minced OR 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- ¼ cup rolled oats or breadcrumbs (certified gluten-free if GF is important to you)
- ½ – 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or to taste (use less salt if the beans have salt added)
- freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- about 1/4 cup flour of choice (I used chickpea flour)
- grape seed oil for sautéing
- In a food processor, add in all the ingredients (except the last two: flour & oil) and mix until fully combined.
- (Or mash the beans with a potato masher in a large bowl and mix in all the ingredients with a wooden spoon or your hands).
- Transfer to a large bowl so it’s easier to work from.
- Scoop up about two tablespoons of the mixture into the palm of your hands and shape like a patty. Continue with all the mixture.
- Sprinkle the flour onto a large plate, drop the patty onto the flour and coat all over, dust off excess with your fingers.
- Heat a large cast iron pan, drizzle oil on the bottom and place the patties on the pan.
- Cook each side on medium low heat for about 3-5 minutes, then turn them over to cook the other side, until the colour darkens and they are firmer in shape.
- Alternatively, you can bake them at 350 F for 20-30 minutes, turning over half way through.
- Let cool for 5 minutes until serving.
I enjoyed eating these with the ends of my gluten free bread (they made a good ‘bun’ that wasn’t too fluffy and big). I had some natural mustard, organic ketchup, and pickled red pepper – my favourite addition to any burgers! It basically was the best thing I ate in a long time.
You could serve these with your favourite buns, or you could plop them into a salad or serve with a hearty healthy grain like quinoa or buckwheat.
CUT THE SUGAR TIP :
- All carbs have sugar because they basically become glucose in the intestines, if you are trying to cut out sugar from your diet, consider eating these burgers with a big salad instead of a bun or eating a low-glycemic grain such as buckwheat as part of dinner.
I hope you’ll be enjoying these soon! If so, do let me know how you like them through the comments here on this post or through social media, tagging your photos #pureella and @pure_ella so I can see them :) I repost my favourites! :)
Ella Leché is a cookbook author (‘Cut the Sugar‘), recipe developer, and photographer/stylist behind Pure Ella; where she shares delicious and healthy recipes. Eating PURE is clean ingredients, whole foods, plant-based nourishment and delicious desserts – with quality ingredients and sweeteners so they’re treats with benefits so you won’t have to feel deprived or restricted to eat healthier.
Thank YOU for being here!
Follow on social media for daily health & happiness inspiration:@pure_ella on Instagram – we repost our favourite photos!