It can feel like time is slipping away… we’re well on our way into the second half of the year and well into the second half of the summer. The days have started to get shorter… Time – Freeze. Stop Now!
Oh darn, that didn’t work. Nothing will freeze time. No extra hours will get added onto our day to finish things on our ‘to do’ list. We won’t have a magic energy pill that will let us live on 3 hours of sleep. We still need to sleep, eat healthy, exercise, spend time with family, spend time with friends, work hard, accomplish things we’ve set to do, do laundry, cook 3 meals a day – yeah right – how about at least one, read a book, watch a favourite show, go outside, jog, exercise…. oh there’s a few more things to add to that ‘to do’ list! Done!
You know what’s missing from that list? You!
Prioritize You. Take care of YOU!
Stop whatever you’re doing. Breathe. Slow down. Do less.
Here’s a few ways you can take care of yourself, open up and surrender to embrace life with more clarity and focus:
- Tune into your breathing – slow it down by controlling your breathing and taking deep breaths.
- Go into nature - go for a walk, a run, a hike, or just grab a blanket and sit down for 20 minutes (at least). Feel the breeze, the warmth of the sun, smell the freshness of the outdoors. (if you’re in the city – find a garden or a park so you have a beautiful surrounding around you). Want to explore deeper with your senses? Go barefoot! Take your shoes off and embrace the earth. It has the power to soothe and heal you – you just need to let it.
- Book a day off! Take a day off work for just an ‘all about you’ day. Don’t spend it running errands though… but grab a book, relax, get away from the city even on your own. Have kids? Arrange for grandma or their favourite aunt to take them – you need this alone time to listen to yourself. Can’t do a full day, enjoy a really great evening on your own – soaking in a bath tub or reading your favourite book.
- Close your eyes – we loose most of our energy through our eyes – throughout the day; at work or out on a busy day with the family – sit down and close your eyes for a moment. You will conserve more of your energy and feel refreshed just from closing your eyes.
- Eat healthy! Food is medicine for the body and mind. I am living proof that what you choose to put in your mouth has a direct effect on your wellbeing and health. Have a bad day? Do not self-destruct with a greasy burger or a bag of chips or even that cupcake! A cupcake is not love! It is sugar that your body craves at that moment – it will not give you happiness in the long run. (disclaimer: an all-natural whole food vegan cupcake occasionally IS happiness) ~ just saying – don’t make a habit of it! Your body-brain chemistry is able to play tricks with you. Recognize what your body needs and wants! Two very different things! A beautiful salad with spinach & kale, loaded with beautiful veggies, drizzled with flax oil, a squeeze of lemon, a sprinkle of mustard seeds, a dash of sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper (well what do you know, you get a recipe in this post also! ;) ~ will nourish you and make you feel great! It’s possible to turn to food to change your life for the better – I did it and I welcome everyone into my big bowl of healing!
- Take care of others. While taking care of yourself… it’s important to have good supportive people in your life. Take care of them too by being a great friend, partner, parent or daughter or son. It’s these people that you will turn to when you ask for help. And never be afraid to ask for help. We are not superhuman but super awesome humans ~ and part of this awesomeness is that we are not alone. Wrap yourself in the community of love and care. A hug is sometimes all you need, and sometimes it’s all that someone close to you needs. Give them out freely ~ they are filled with magic ;)
My friends, remember to Take care of YOU first…. and everything will be good. ♥ Ella
Back to Blog