Hello soup season!! I’m kicking off the comfort-food vibes with this delicious Sweet Potato Lentil Soup!
This soup is so creamy and hearty with all the right flavours, a bit of a bite and sweetness – basically ALL the good things you want in a soup. Yessss!!! :)
This Sweet Potato Lentil Soup has been on repeat here at our house and we just can’t get enough. I hope you’ll agree that it’s super yummy and it will be one of your go-to soup recipes too!
Sweet Potato Lentil Soup
all-natural, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, vegan
prep time: 10 minutes cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 ½ cups red split lentils, rinsed
- 6-8 cups water
- 2 medium-size sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley (to taste)
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the onion and cook until it softens, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and carrots and cook, stirring, for a few minutes.
- Add the lentils, water, sweet potatoes and spices and seasoning. Stir and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in the cilantro or parsley just before serving.
This soup is very fragrant and vibrant in colour and flavour… I added depth to this dish by sautéing the carrots and other veggies before hand. This adds a great depth of flavour and texture that compliments the softer sweet potatoes! Delicious! This makes a huge pot with plenty of leftovers. Prefect for a quick reheat the next day after coming home from the cold….
Ella Leché is a cookbook author (‘Cut the Sugar‘), recipe developer, and photographer/stylist behind Pure Ella; where she shares delicious and healthy recipes. Eating PURE is clean ingredients, whole foods, plant-based nourishment and delicious desserts – with quality ingredients and sweeteners so they’re treats with benefits so you won’t have to feel deprived or restricted to eat healthier.
Thank YOU for being here!
Follow on social media for daily health & happiness inspiration:ps. don’t forget to share your Pure Ella (PE) recipe creations by tagging them #pureella and @pure_ella on Instagram – we repost our favourite photos!