Is it picnic season yet? I think so :) I am so excited about packing up some delicious food, grabbing a blanket, the kids and heading out to the park for a picnic… it’s just the best time of the year. And this Quinoa Summer Salad in a Jar is my favourite healthy food to bring along.
QUINOA SUMMER SALAD IN A JAR
- 1 cup pre-cooked cold well-drained quinoa (I love using leftover quinoa for this)
- 4 handfuls of spring mix salad
- about 1 cup of berries : strawberries, blueberries & blackberries
- ¼ slivered almonds
Dressing Ingredients :
- 1/4 cup EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) OR 2 tablespoons EVOO + 2 tablespoons hemp oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons of dried basil
- fine sea salt and pepper to taste
- Spoon the quinoa evenly onto two large Mason jars (or portable containers/ plates)
- Distribute the salad mix evenly on top.
- Slice the strawberries and layer they berries on top.
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- In a separate container, whisk together the oil, lemon, maple syrup, basil + salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad just before heading out to your picnic.
Enjoy within 2 hours of being out of the fridge.
To keep it fresher longer, bring ice packs and keep the salads next to them
Find a shaded area to keep your picnic basket.