Hello and Welcome…. so nice that you could come for a visit…. Here, come closer… I have a little treat for you… how would you like to munch on some delicious Witch Fingers? And they are healthy too! Ha Ha Ha!!!! Please don’t be frightened! These can be a little scary… but they are also delicious sugar cookies that you will Love! It’s true! ;) And they’re also a *healthier* sugar cookie and one that everyone can enjoy… these Witch Fingers are gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and refined sugar free. And they’re quick and simple to do…. watch even a 6 and 3 year old can do them ;0
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free flour or light spelt flour
- 1/2 cup organic vegan margarine (Earth Balance Buttery Spread)
- 3/4 cups organic brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- about 1/4 cup almond milk or any other plant milk
- about 16-20 whole almonds
- In a small bowl, mix the ground flax with 4 tablespoons of hot water and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl equipped with batter beaters, whip the vegan margarine until fluffy, add the brown sugar and vanilla extract and continue mixing until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has a whipped texture.
- Slowly, one tablespoon at a time, fold in the flour.
- If the dough is too crumbly, you can add a tablespoon of dairy-free milk to moisten the dough slightly so it sticks together.
- Scoop a small portion of the dough, form into a ball and then press and roll between your hands to make a long 'finger'. Place on parchment paper.
- Take each almond, dip one side into milk and press into one side of the finger.
- With your fingers, squeeze the cookie in 1/3 and 2/3 of the way down to add more of a real finger shape. With a teaspoon, mark little lines in the middle for skin folds.... ;)
- Place into a preheated oven at 350F for 15-18 minutes or until a slight golden colour appears near the bottom. Be careful not to burn the bottoms, the cookies will have a slight uncooked look. Remove from oven and carefully transfer to a cooling rack, wait until they are completely cooled before serving. About 30 minutes. Enjoy this Spooktacular treat! ;)
- Be sure to make all the fingers the same size so they bake evenly.
Of course she only gets a handful of the better stuff (as she’s only 6, we get away with it) but I really don’t like all that unhealthy candy out there filled with unsafe artificial flavouring and colouring and so much awful sugar and GMO’s. As a parent I really don’t want her eating up this nasty stuff… which is why having fun treats at the house is really great ;) What are some of your fun Halloween traditions you like to do? Do you make special gory treats? I bet the whole family would love these ;)