Sea salt is found in the form of fine or coarse grain, and contains more than a 100 minerals in it. Sea salt and refined salt have the same nutritional value, but they differ in their taste and texture. Table salt is obtained from the rock salt that is mined from mineral deposits. Due to the variations in their refining processes, both salts differ in taste and texture. The end product after refining either of the salts is sodium chloride, which is necessary for the body to function properly. According to experts, recommended intake of sodium should be somewhere between 1,500 and 2,300 milligrams per day, for healthy adults. Hence, some people prefer using sea salt in their food as it has a more subtle flavor.
Health Benefits of Sea Salt
Sea salt balances and nutrifies our body with minerals. Some more health benefits of sea salt are as follows:
- It helps in stabilizing abnormal heartbeats which is contrary to the delusion that it causes high blood pressure. In fact, sea salt in conjunction with water and in the right proportion, is essential for the regulation of blood pressure. It searches for the harmful sodium deposits in the body and completely eliminates them. It also curbs high blood pressure.
- Before sleeping, if taken with warm water, it helps a person get a deeper and longer sleep, which is restful and refreshing. It also helps clear up catarrh and sinus and bronchial congestion.
- It helps maintain the electrolytes in the body which are essential for processing information and communication of the brain cells.
- It avoids water retention in the body, which is again contrary to another misconception that salt causes water retention. It has also been reported to dissolve kidney stones in the body.
- Sea salt supplies essential minerals directly to our cells to enhance and improve the body’s immune system and increases resistance against infections and bacterial diseases. It also helps our body heal quickly from accidents, surgeries, sickness, mental disorders, burns, etc.
- It wards off acidity by eliminating unwanted sodium deposits in the body.
- It helps control drool while sleeping, which usually happens if the body is deprived of the right type of salt and water. This can further lead to a double chin, as the saliva glands have to function harder to lubricate the mouth. Hence, sea salt mixed with drinking water helps prevent this condition.
- Sea salt helps in food absorption from the intestinal tract and maintains the level of sugar in the blood, hence reducing the risk of diabetes.
- It plays an important role in curing the lungs of mucus plugs and sticky phlegm, especially during asthma and cystic fibrosis.
- As sea salt supplies essential nutrients to the muscles, it helps in preventing muscle cramps.
- It acts as a strong natural antihistamine by keeping the body at the right pH. This helps by maintaining the body’s acidic level and preventing different health problems and degenerative diseases.
Sea salt doesn’t comprise of iodine or any other additives. However, regular consumption of sea salt in the diet isn’t a bother regarding the deficiency of iodine in the body, as there are many other food products that are rich in iodine like seafood, dairy products and some processed foods.
Benefit of Sea Salt Bath
The Sea-bathing therapy, also known as Talassotherapy (thalassa = sea in old Greek), increases circulation, assists in the rejuvenation of the cells, in the appearance of the skin and relaxes the body through immersion in warm seawater. The great thing about it is that this therapy induces an exchange of minerals and toxins between the blood and the water. Vitamins, mineral salts, trace elements, amino acids and living microorganisms which secrete antibiotic, bacteriostatic and hormonal substances with biological balancing effects. - a complex blend of life -supportive minerals known as sea salt
Sea salt bath therapy works by activating the body’s own healing mechanisms. Our blood and circulatory systems provide a continual supply of oxygen and nutrients for maintenance alongside immune cells for defense and repair. Researchers indicate improvement on one’s immune system after being submitted to sea salt bath therapy, increasing the natural human healing and defense power. Thalassotherapy has a potential to recover a low responsiveness of hypothalamic-adrenal endocrine system caused by stress, adjusting body functions that are critical for sustaining life.
The Sea Salt Bath Therapy is recommended for:
Arthritis, arthroses, stress, neuroses, chronic pharyngitis, bronchitis, asthma, non pulmonary tuberculosis, psoriasis, etc.
Simple Scented Bath Salt Recipe
- 16 ounces all-natural bath salt
- 15-30 drops of essential oil
In a mixing bowl, add drops of the essential oil to the bath salt and mix well. Store in a glass jar. Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the scented salts to a bath for a soothing, luxurious experience!
The mineralized air in the salt cave contains trace of the following minerals:
- Calcium -increases defensive forces of the body resistance to infectious diseases, normalizes autonomic nervous system, prevents antiallergic reactions, and reinforces bone systems
- Sodium - supports acidic – alkaline balance in the body, osmotic pressure and cell energetics
- Potassium - acts against heart arrhythmia, against edemas and diuretically. Improves conditions of neuromuscular system and motor coordination
- Magnesium - accelerates sending nervous impulses to muscles to muscles, acts as smooth muscle relaxant and as calming factor, anesthetizes, speeds up wound healing, lowers arterial blood pressure and prevents convulsions
- Copper - improves function of the producing blood cells, increases hemoglobin level and decreases sugar level in blood, speeds up knitting fractured bones together, has anesthetic and anti-inflammatory effect
- Bromine - lowers arterial blood pressure and prevents convulsions
- Iodine - has anti-sclerotic effect, normalizes fat transformation in the body, and protects against radiation
- Fluorine - strengthens bones and teeth, stimulates immunity and protects against radiation
Air in the Salt Cave is particularly helpful in treatment of the following conditions:
- - respiratory tract illnesses: chronic inflammation of mucous membranes, rhinitis and sinuses, throat and larynx, bronchial asthma, chronic inflammation of bronchi and lungs, pneumoconiosis;
- - allergies
- - hypothyroidism
- - vascular-cardiac ailments: circulatory insufficiency, post-infarction conditions, hypertension;
- - dermatological ailments: skin inflammation, psoriasis, eczema;
- - psychosomatic illnesses: neurosis, depression, exhaustion, stress resistance decrease;
This salt cave is located in Mississauga and I personally heard a lot of great things about it from friends. I am planning to go myself sometime soon. By the way, I only have sea salt in my kitchen and our whole family stays away from table salt. You should too! Next time you’re out of salt and you’re in the grocery store isle, reach for SEA SALT instead. Oh and don’t forget to pick some sea salt bath crystals, while you’re at it, for a relaxing bath tonight ;)
Back to Blog