Oh my, have you heard this story yet : Colorado man wins $7 million in ‘popcorn lung’ case?
A Colorado man developed respiratory problems in 2007 and developed lung cancer – he blamed the toxic *flavour* of his artificially flavoured butter popcorn for his illness and sued the popcorn company. “Watson, (the defence attorney) argued the companies failed to warn consumers that inhaling the buttery aroma could put them at risk of lung injury.”
Would you believe he won the case, and was awarded $7 million!?
How does this look for artificial crap that so many companies put into their product???
Awesome! For us that is. Yeah, you better switch your gears crap-companies who only care about what’s in their pockets and not what is actually in their products. Shame on you. But guess what, consumers are smarter now – we do not buy crap anymore, we read the labels, check for ingredients, right guys?
But what’s really the deal here?
And that’s not all. Diacetyl (DA), the artificial food flavouring that gives popcorn and margarine its distinctive butter taste, encourages beta-amyloid proteins in the brain to ‘clump’ together and is also linked to Alzheimer’s.
Here is the study about that : Artificial Butter Flavouring Linked To Alzheimer’s Disease Risk
This is scary indeed, as often times you don’t even see the specific scientific name for the *poison* in your food. It’s often mentioned as “artificial flavour”.
This is another reason to be more aware of the food you purchase and put in your mouth. Please read the label of all your food and choose simple natural, organic if only possible foods for you and your family.
Organic popcorn should always be your option especially since corn is one of the top GMO crops in North America.
And no one speaks of the microwave ~ but did you know we live completely microwave free? In short, microwaves distort the molecular structure of the foods. They destroy much of the nutrients and cause many other problems with the immune system over a period of time. Since I started my healing journey about 3 years ago, I quickly learned that this convenience would have to go. We heat up our food the right way now and could not be happier. Bonus – there’s more counter space ;D
So to sum up, your favourite movie-night snack that millions of families and even kids rely on is a dangerous toxin-filled food that should not be consumed. Wow – that is quite a big eye opener, isn’t it?, about the *quality* of foods out there on the shelves of our stores. Be aware, learn your ways around the business. (Because one thing’s true, it is all about the business!)
So what do you do?
You buy a bulk bag of organic popcorn, heat up a large pot that has a matching lid, drizzle in some grape seed oil, toss 1/4 cup of popping corn kernels into it, give it a stir, cover and let them pop away! About 2 minutes. Done! We make our own popcorn all the time and we kick things up a bit with different flavours once a while. But I haven’t shared a recipe yet ~ stay tuned.
Meanwhile, make your peace with GMO, Diacetyl flavoured popcorn that distorts the molecules of your food! Go natural. Go organic. Go simple.
What do you think about this law suit, toxic flavours in food? Are you concerned for your family’s safety due to the foods you all eat that may contain harmful additives? Do share your thoughts.
Back to Blog