If you’re in need of a super simple, quick and delicious side dish that’s wholesome, filling and goes with everything pretty much ~ these Brussels Sprouts with Chickpeas and Caramelized Onions is just perfect!
This dish is also very allergy friendly, high in protein, gluten-free, grain-free and vegan. So… pretty much neutral to have on the dinner table. It’s also hearty and makes a great side dish with either just other vegetables or as part of a larger meal. The thyme takes this dish to a new level ~ so good :)
- 4 cups of brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 medium onions
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced or chopped fine
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- sea salt & pepper
- 2 - 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves picked off
- grape seed or olive oil for cooking
- In a large sauce pan, sauté the onions on low heat until golden and caramelized. Remove from the pan so they don't burn and set aside.
- Into the same pan, add in washed, dried and halved brussels sprouts and garlic.
- Season and cover to cook for about 10 minutes on low-medium heat, stirring occasionally and adding a little water at a time if needed.
- Add the rinsed and drained chickpeas.
- Continue to cook for another 5 minutes .
- Stir the onions back in and turn off the heat and keep the cover on.
- To serve, sprinkle with fresh theme.
Ella Leché is a cookbook author (‘Cut the Sugar‘), recipe developer, and photographer/stylist behind Pure Ella; where she shares delicious and healthy recipes. Eating PURE is clean ingredients, whole foods, plant-based nourishment and delicious desserts – with quality ingredients and sweeteners so they’re treats with benefits so you won’t have to feel deprived or restricted to eat healthier.
Thank YOU for being here!
Follow on social media for daily health & happiness inspiration:ps. don’t forget to share your Pure Ella (PE) recipe creations by tagging them #pureella and @pure_ella on Instagram – we repost our favourite photos!